New Jiffy Move Blog: Keys to a Successful Move Starts with Planning Ahead
We suggest that you start the moving process at least four weeks before your scheduled move date. This will provide you with plenty of time to complete all of the details that accompany moving. If you’re the type of person who likes staying organized while also leveraging free apps, check out this Wheaton blog post about using free Google tools to organize your move.
- File a change of address form with the Post Office.
- Notify creditors, magazines and book/music clubs of your new address.
- Retrieve your family’s medical records and ask doctors and dentists to recommend a colleague in your new city.
- Decide which items can be sold, discarded or donated to charity.
- Complete your own inventory of each possession, including date purchased and estimated value.
- Notify the local utilities at your origin/destination to have service turned off/on as needed.
- Notify your children’s schools, your church and other organizations of your impending move.
- Decide which items you will be packing yourself.
- Sketch out a general floor plan of your new home to determine the placement of furnishings.
- Make a list of important names, addresses and phone numbers, and be sure to take your phone book with you.
- Notify if anything about your relocation has changed (dates, etc.).
- Make arrangements for moving your plants and pets.
- Contact your bank and transfer the contents of your safety deposit box.
- Check your homeowner’s policy to see if moving is covered by your insurer.
- Transfer insurance to cover fire, theft and personal property at your new home.
- If shipping an automobile, top off fluids like oil and antifreeze, but make plans to have the gas tank less than half full.
- Plan your own trip to your new home and make the necessary travel arrangements for your family.
- Arrange for the proper servicing of all appliances at your origin and destination.
- Dispose of flammable items such as gasoline, matches, bleach, cleaning fluids and aerosol cans.
- Discontinue regular services like newspaper delivery, trash pick-up and lawn service.
- Finalize your plans for larger items (TV antenna, swing set, trampoline, etc.).
- Arrange for the payment to the moving company used to get to your destination.
- Transfer bank accounts so you don’t lose any interest (if relocating out of the city or province)
- Make arrangements to disconnect/connect local phone service at your origin/destination.
- Determine which items you will be taking with you (jewelry, etc.). Pack and set them aside in a designated area.
- Use up all frozen foods or give them away.
- Drain the fuel from lawnmowers and other gas-powered equipment.
1 day before
- Pack a box of things you’ll need as soon as you arrive at your new home. Take this box with you!
- This is usually the day packing is done; verify all packing services have been performed before signing for them.
- Defrost, clean and dry your refrigerator.
- Plan to be at your current home when our movers arrive and throughout the loading of your shipment. If you’re not able to be there, make sure the driver has the name and number of the person you’ve designated to oversee the process.
- Check the condition of your goods as they are inventoried and loaded.
- Make a final tour of your home/property and verify that nothing has been overlooked.
- Sign the Bill of Lading, double-checking that your new address and phone number are correct.
- Lock all doors and windows and turn off all switches.
- If possible, arrive at your new home a day early to make sure utilities are connected.
- Plan the placement of major items in/around your home.
- Be on hand to pay the driver prior to the unloading of your goods.